Doxofylline tablets are used to treat and prevent symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (a lung disorder in which the flow of air to the lung is blocked). It belongs to the group of medicines called Bronchodilators. It can also be used to reduce apnea (lack of breathing) and other respiratory diseases associated with bronchospasm (tightening of airways). COPD is a lung disease characterized by chronic lung inflammation and obstructed airflow within the airways. Asthma is a long-term respiratory illness in which airways become inflamed, swollen, and narrowed. Store the tablets in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.
Take Doxofylline tablets as per the dosage prescribed by the doctor. Do not crush, chew or break the tablet. Swallow the whole tablet with a glass of water, with or without food or as prescribed by the doctor. It is a sustained-release tablet that takes time to dissolve and maintains a constant level of medication in the body. Some people may observe a few side effects such as headache, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, irritability, insomnia (difficulty in falling or staying asleep), or fast heart rate.
Medical Benefits of Doxofylline Tablets
Doxofylline Tablets is a bronchodilator and also possesses antitussive (cough suppressant) properties that are used to treat symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The medicine works by relaxing muscles and widening the airways of the lungs, especially in asthma and COPD patients. Additionally, Doxofylline tablets help in suppressing cough and make breathing easier by opening airways. Thus it prevents an asthma attack, and an individual can exercise freely if it is taken before exercise or before expected exposure to irritants such as pollen, house dust, cigarette smoke, and pets. The medical benefits of Doxofylline Tablets are briefed below:
- Require less frequent dosing compared to immediate-release formulations
- Reduced fluctuations and side effects
- Enhanced treatment efficacy
- Lower risk of side effects
Side Effects of Doxofylline Tablets
Mostly the side effects of Doxofylline tablets are mild to moderate that get resolved over time. The side effects may vary in all the users as they depend on the physiological condition and response to the treatment. If your side effects get worse with time or persist, immediately consult your doctor. The range of side effects noticed on using the Doxofylline tablets are given below:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Upper stomach pain
- Lack of sleep (insomnia)
- Abnormal or rapid heartbeat
- Fast breathing
Doxofylline can interact with other medicines when taken together. Usually, drugs also have a tendency to interact with certain medications and health conditions. It is advised to not take Doxofylline tablets with the following mentioned drugs:
- Medicines used to treat bacterial infections (such as erythromycin, troleandomycin, lincomycin, and clindamycin)
- Allopurinol (a medicine used to treat gout)
- Cimetidine (a medicine used to treat stomach ulcers)
- Influenza vaccine
- Propranolol (a medicine used to treat heart problems)
- Phenytoin (a medicine used to treat fits)
- Sympathomimetic drugs (medicines used to increase heart rate and hypertension) Ex. ephedrine
- Methylxanthines (used to treat respiratory problems) Ex. etophylline, aminophylline
Precautions and Warnings
1. Avoid consuming alcohol with Doxofylline tablets as it may interact and interfere with the absorption of medicines.
2. Doxofylline tablets are not safe for mothers breastfeeding their children.
3. Do not take Doxofylline tablets if you have liver or kidney disorders.
4. Store the medicines in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.
5. Keep the medicine out of reach of children and pets. Carefully dispose of expired or discarded medicines.