Obeticholic Acid 10 mg Tablets are used alone or in combination with other medicines to treat a chronic liver condition known as primary biliary cholangitis. It is an autoimmune disease that destroys the bile ducts present in the liver where bile is formed or stored. The body’s immune system starts destroying its own cells mistakenly, eventually leading to liver failure.
Obeticholic acid helps in the removal of excess bile. It decreases the buildup of bile in the liver. It also aids to reduce inflammation and hence treats primary biliary cirrhosis.
Indications to Use Obeticholic Acid 10 mg Tablets
Take this medication as directed by the doctor. Usually, one dose of Obeticholic Acid Tablets is taken once a day with or without food. Swallow the tablet as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it as this can cause damage to the drug.
Do not stop using these tablets without informing the doctor. Your doctor will increase or decrease your dosage according to the severity of the condition and your body’s response to the medicine. Do not increase or decrease the dosage yourself without asking the doctor. Most people with worsening liver failure have negligible symptoms. Liver function tests are to be regularly done to check the condition by the doctor.
Contraindications regarding Obeticholic Acid 10 mg Tablets
All medicines have certain precautions to be followed before using them. Their use is not recommended in certain cases without expert guidance from the doctor. The below-given points describe these cases.
• The use of Obeticholic Acid 10 mg Tablets is not recommended in children as they are prone to side effects. Consult your doctor before using this medicine in children.
• Pregnant Women should discuss the potential benefits and risks beforehand with the doctor to avoid any problems in delivery. An excessive dosage of this medicine may harm the unborn fetus.
• There is not enough scientific information about whether the drug passes through breast milk. Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding.
• Discuss with your doctor if you had any previous dysfunction of liver or any other organ, especially kidney damage or heart ailments.
• Donot exceed the directed dosage. Any change in the dosage and duration will be determined by the doctor only.
• Avoid using alcohol during the course of treatment. It may contribute to further liver damage.
• Keep away from children in a cool and dry place.
Adverse Effects of Obeticholic Acid 10 mg Tablets
Many people using this medication do not develop serious side effects. The doctor has clearly advised you to use this medicine keeping in mind the potential risks and advantages of this medicine. But in some cases, common side effects may be observed. These include nausea, tiredness, throat or mouth pain or pounding heartbeat. If these side effects are worse, contact your doctor immediately.
Note: In some cases, the use if Obeticholic Acid 10 mg Tablets is linked with worsening liver damage. Seek medical attention as early as possible if you experience
o nausea or persistent vomiting
o loss of appetite
o dark or discolored urine
o Abdominal cramps
o muscle or tendon pain
o yellowish colour of skin or eyes.
Talk with your doctor regarding any other side effects you experience or are concerned with.
Widely Asked Concerns
Question– To which category do Obeticholic Acid 10 mg Tablets belongs to?
Obeticholic Acid 10 mg Tablets are classified as farnesoid X receptor agonists. The primary use of this medication is to stop or slow down liver damage.
Question– Who is more affected by primary biliary cholangitis?
Women are more prone to developing this disease than men. Older age adults are also vulnerable to primary biliary cholangitis.
Question– Is this medicine used in children?
It is not advised to use this medicine in kids without expert guidance. Consult your doctor for more information.